Posted Under: Accounting and Taxation Posted On 06/06/2015
DO YOU CLAIM WORK RELATED EXPENSES?
This year the ATO is continuing to pay close attention to the $19.5 billion in work-related expenses claimed each year as deductions by individuals when they lodge their tax returns. They will not be limiting their attention to particular occupations. Instead, they will pay particular attention to work-related expense claims relating to:
- Claiming for a computer, phone or other electronic device as a work related expense
- Claiming for the transporting of bulky tools and equipment
- Claiming overnight work related expenses
If you want clarity about what you can claim, the ATO has video’s that simply explain what you can and cannot claim. Click here –
The ATO will still continue to review incorrect or excessive claims for all other work-related expenses.
INVESTORS CLAIMING RENTAL PROPERTY DEDUCTIONS
For those of you with investment properties, the ATO will have an increased focus on rental property deductions this tax time. In particular, they are paying close attention to:
- excessive deductions claimed for holiday homes,
- husbands and wives splitting rental income and deductions for jointly owned properties that is not supported,
- claims for repairs and maintenance shortly after the property was purchased, and
- interest deductions claimed for the private proportion of loans.
For case study examples of what cannot be claimed visit here –